These are technical details for the Home fit testing method 1.
The goal of this home fit testing method is to recapitulate the important parts of the OSHA taste-based aerosol qualitative fit test procedures.
Goals of method 1:
- Be accessible and inexpensive.
- Be easy to perform, especially by individuals with no experience fit testing and for individuals testing themselves.
- Give strong assurance that if an individual passes home fit testing method 1 that they would also pass the OSHA taste-based qualitative fit test procedure.
Non-goals of method 1:
- Provide quantitative data on fit, ability to compare fit % between different masks.
- Provide non-subjective measure of fit. This is a qualitative test.
- Provide strong assurance that individuals achieving < 1% inward leakage will always pass this test. Method 1 is designed to be more sensitive than the OSHA taste-based qualitative fit test procedures because it is better to err on the side of false negatives than false positives with home fit testing.
The OSHA taste-based aerosol qualitative fit test procedures, for saccharine and bitrex.