KF94 is a South Korean general-public mask standard. Most KF94 masks feature a boat-style design and attach to the face using ear loops. The "KF" stands for "Korea Filter."
KF94s are made in two form factors: the classic "boat style" (sometimes called "3D") design and a bifold (sometimes called "2D") design. All certified KF94 masks are made in South Korea.
KF94 masks are certified by the South Korean Ministry of Food and Drug Safety in a manner similar to how the US-based NIOSH certifies N95 respirators. KF94 are not exactly equivalent to US N95; a different Korean standard, "1st class" (KMOEL-2017-64) is more like the NIOSH N95 standard. K94 is a general-public mask standard, not designed for industrial or occupational use like NIOSH N95. For instance, there are KF94 masks available for children, but in the US there are no official NIOSH-certified N95s for children, as NIOSH is for occupational safety (the "O").
In addition to KF94, in Korea there are also "KF80" masks, which meet a less rigorous filtration standard.
The 3M Aura is a N95 respirator with a boat-style design akin to the popular boat-style KF94.
More on KF94 masks
- Video overview of FAQs on wearing K94, including how to get a good fit with a KF94, how long you wear one & how to stop glasses from fogging up.
- Video overview of what KF94 masks are and how they differ from KN95 masks, from Be Healthy USA, a US distributor of KF94 masks.
- "Coronavirus FAQ: Why Am I Suddenly Hearing So Much About KF94 Masks?" - NPR article on KF94 masks from Jan. 2020.
- About KF94, on the South Korean Ministry of Food and Drug Safety website.
- Video demonstrating the South Korean KF94 distribution and rationing system during the early COVID pandemic (March 2020).
- Guide to verifying authenticity of KF94 masks from the South Korean Ministry of Food and Drug Safety.
- Aaron Collins (who has a background in aerosol science) has a number of videos featuring reviews and independent aerosol penetration tests of KF94 respirators. See Aaron Collin's YouTube channel.
- List of respirators for information on other kinds of respirators & masks